The most sumptuous Summer or Christmas Ice cream Bomb ever.
If you feel ludicrously luscious (recommended) you can have this any time of year – you will just have to stock up on Panettone though. I have tried to replace Panettone with sponge cakes and the like but it is comparable to revving a Bentley or revving a Deux chevaux.
This has become my family’s favourite Christmas dessert recipe! It should last a large family from Christmas through to new year but I end up making a second one for New Year’s every time!
Ice cream Bomb Recipe
Start by finding your biggest 4 – 5 Liter bowl and check that you have space for it in your freezer. Otherwise you will have to either only make half or divide the recipe into two bowls.
1 Liter of good-quality vanilla ice cream
1 Liter of good-quality Chocolate ice cream
1 Large panettone (I prefer a raisin free version)
250 ml cherry or muscat
4 tablespoons raspberry or berry jam
1 Cup smallish berries
Half a cup of walnuts or shelled pistachios (any nuts really)
4 slabs of good-quality dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
Capers or any flowers you like
1. Take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften while you start on the bomb.
2. Line a large round 4 – 5 liter prep bowl, salad bowl or pudding bowl with 3 layers of cling wrap. (If your bowl is plastic you do not need cling wrap.)
3. Use a serrated knife to cut the entire panettone into 2cm thick slices.
4. Pack the slices into the bowl as a first layer – complete cover.
5. Mix the jam and cherry or sweet-wine and spoon drizzle it over the first layer.
6. The vanilla ice cream should be soft enough now to spoon in as the next layer.
7. Sprinkle a few nuts and fresh berries over and lightly press into the sides.
8. Spoon the chocolate ice cream into the middle – it should be level at the top by now.
9. Place any left-over panettone on top and press down a little till the top surface is level and flat. This will become the bottom once turned over and you need it to stand firm.
10. Cover with cling wrap and place in the freezer for 8 hours.
11. Melt the chocolate over very low heat or in a bain-marie.
12. Remove the bomb from the freezer, turn it over onto a large serving plate & slowly pour the chocolate onto the top center of the bomb to allow it to run down and cover the whole thing.
You can decorate and serve it immediately or put it back into the freezer for when you need it. Always take it out of the freezer about 20 – 30 minutes before you attempt to slice it.
One more tip: Remember that everything will be eaten in a frozen state so mind how large the nuts and berries are to not break some teeth. Halved Blackberries, raspberries and walnuts work best.