Risk Assessment Consultant
Aviant Currin’s field of expertise is focused on operational risk:
“Risk of loss resulting from inadequate or failed internal processes, people and systems or from
external events”. With the potential to impact on Productivity, Safety, Health and Environment of
the operation and can potentially result in business Interruption, impacting on the Bottom Line.
I have extensive experience Locally, Nationally and in Sub-Sahara Africa providing Professional Risk
Consulting/setting up Comprehensive Risk Management Systems for small, medium and Global
Key Focus Areas
Identifying legal compliance and ISO standards failures through a systemic Risk Management
Providing a framework for an organisation that enables future activity to take place in a
consistent and controlled manner improving decision making, planning and prioritisation by
comprehensive and structured understanding of business activity, volatility and project
use/allocation of Risk Capital and resources opportunity/threat contributing to more
efficiency within the organisation
Reducing volatility in the non-essential areas of the business protecting and enhancing
assets and company image
Developing and supporting the organisation’s Risk Programme
Optimising operational efficiency.
Advising on Good Corporate Governance practices, Code of Ethics, Fiduciary Duties.
Protecting the interests of the CEO, Board of Directors, Shareholders, and Stakeholders.
NAME Aviant Anthony Currin
NATIONALITY South African
DATE OF BIRTH 11 October 1957
IDENTITY NUMBER 571011 5070 087
MARITAL STATUS Widower
CONTACT NUMBERS + 27 76 070 8030 (Cell)
EMAIL ADDRESS firstname.lastname@example.org
ADDRESS 16 Park Road, Fisher Haven, Cape Town, 7945
DRIVERS LICENCE Code 10 licence: PDP Passengers and Goods
CRIMINAL RECORD None
CURRENT STATUS Risk Consultant
Risk Consultant: Conducting Business Continuity Planning, Risk, Safety, Health, Environmental and Security risk assessments and audits for Security and Corporate Manufacturing, Warehousing and Distribution companies National and Internationally.
Most recent project undertaken Voltex CT 2017/07/01 to 2017/07/31:
Phase 1: Comprehensive risk analysis in order to identify the possible causes of both malicious & non-malicious stock losses.
Main areas of focus included critical areas/aspects below:
– Top shrinkage lines
– Goods receiving
– Bulk dispatch
– Direct sales (Sales Counter)
– Goods storage
– Custom Goods (Cable cutting)
– General Perimeter & internal Asset Protection of the warehouse complex.
Phase 2: Risk Identification:
Main risks identified agreeing on deliverables in order to confront each of the identified risks.
Phase 3: Formulation of an Asset Protection Strategy, Policies and training.
Recent project undertaken: Salama Fikira, Head up Investigation: Unilever Kenya and UTT POTENTIAL FUEL THEFT Tanzania six weeks. 30/04/2017 to 12/05/2017
Previous project undertaken: Two year contract at Alliance One Lilongwe Malawi: Contracted by Pro-Telligent Global, a Tetra-tech company USA: From 2015/02/01 to 2016/12/31.
Implementation of a Risk Management Programme to meet Enterprise Risk Management Standards and USA as well as Local Requirements:
Legal, Health, Safety, Environment, Agronomy, BCM. Ensuring risk ownership and accountability at the highest level in the organisation, CEO, Board of Directors, Directors and Senior Management. Both Top Bottom and Bottom Top approach to ownership of risks firmly in to ensure World Class Standards are maintained.
Conduct Environmental Impact Assessments and Project Management relating to Climate Change, Alternate Energy and Water Resources Management effecting Production and Productivity as a direct result of Global Warming
Formulation of an Asset Protection Strategy, Policies and training
Barloworld Logistics, EHL Epping Cape Town as a professional Risk Consultant.
Objective was to Develop and Manage Safety and Security.
Taking the risk program from a Construction site to a Fully Functional Logistic, Warehousing and Distribution Operation. April 2012 to January 2013.
The Site received an award for an Environmentally Green Project.
Consultancy History: SAB Miller RSA and Africa, Unilever Kenya and Tanzania Group 4 Securicor Barlow Logistics, Ellerines Group, Dangote Flour Mills, Dangote Pasta and Noodles and Deli Foods (biscuit factory Legos, Part of the Tigerbrand Group. OPS Overstrand, Salama Fikira Group Uganda and Nigeria
6 Month contract DHL At airport Industria Retail Distribution and Warehousing in the capacity of Risk and SHEQ: Sept 11 to Feb 2012.
SAB Miller, Newlands Brewery, Cape Town
Regional Risk Manager (13 Years 4 months) May 1997 to Sept 2010
- Management of Regional Risk, which includes Manufacturing, Administration and Warehousing. The key functions and responsibilities were
- Management of the Occupational Health & Safety Clinic,
- Management of Ergonomics and Occupational Hygiene,
- Management of Security,
- Management of Regional Site Health & Safety,
- Regional Loss Control,
- Site Services,
- Incident Recording,
- Investigation & Management
- Strategic BCP Implementation and Management,
- Strategic Occupational, Health & Safety Program Implementation and Management,
- Responsible for all Regional Legal and Regulatory Compliance, and
- Regional Insurance Claims.
- Contractor Management.
- Project and Construction risk identification and management.
- HSE and Risk Training of management and staff.
- Business Continuity Planning.
- Managed the Sales & Distribution Risk Portfolio for SAB Western Cape Region (multi-site management) which included all Depots and privately owned depots from Cape Town to Upington and Castle Brewing Namibia for 5 years, prior to business responsibility restructuring.
- Improving and sustaining Regional business performance through the implementation and monitoring of Enterprise Wide Risk Management practices and ensuring alignment to the Group’s Strategic Objectives and Good Corporate Governance practices.
- Compilation of Quarterly risk management reports and 6 monthly Risk Management Corporate Governance Reports on Safety, Health, Environmental for Board of Directors
- Co –ordinate and compile the Regional Top 10 Risk (Significant Risks) providing advice and guide management on strategy formulation.
- Implementation and management of the Regional Business Continuity Planning (BCP) and Business Continuity Management (BCM).
- Management of MHI (Major Hazardous Installations) regulations to ensuring legal compliance to the OHS Act.
- Regional Sustainable Development: Member of the Sustainable Development Implementation Team for Newlands Brewery involved in stake holder engagement, investigation of waste minimization solutions, reusable energy (Green Energy) power saving, water reduction etc. ensuring aligned with the business strategic objectives.
- Implementation and management of the NOSA 5 Star system with continuous improvement and high levels of Safety Health and Environmental standards being the primary objective.
- Manage and co-ordinate AIA (Authorised Inspection Authority) surveys to ensure legal compliance occupational hygiene surveys in terms of the OHS Act.
- Responsible for pre/post project reviews, HAZOPS (Hazardous Operability Studies) and EIA (Environmental Impact Assessments) on all major site construction projects, to ensure compliance to the OHS (Occupational Health and Safety Act), NEMA (National Environmental Management Act), and BIFSA building regulations.
- Member of the integrated Internal Auditors Team Conducting GMR (General Machine Regulations) audits on major machinery across the site to ensure compliance to the OHS Act.
- Maintaining a high level of security to ensure protection of all company assets.
- Manage Regional Insurance authenticating and signing of all claims, Liaise with MIB Insurance Brokers and AIG & AXA with regards to all major projects, plant changes and operational business related risks. Co –ordinate Insurance audits for site.
- Conduct high profile investigations on behalf of the Group Head of Fraud and Investigations on a regular basis.
- Provide support to project teams on all major capital expenditure projects in relation to HAZOPS and EIAs
- Monitoring, recording and follow up of site incidents and the investigation thereof
- Responsible for the Regional Risk Costs and Budgets
- Staff Management:
- Safety: 1 to 4 permanent staff
- Security: 21 contracted staff (previously 19 permanent staff)
- Clinic: 3 permanent staff
- Shop: 6 contracted staff
- O&G: 1 contracted staff
- Garden service: 6 contracted staff
- Canteen: 8 contracted staff
- Cleaning Services: 56 contracted staff
Leadership and Strategic – Boards/Committees Served and Offices held:
- Executive Regional Risk Management Committee – Chair
- Regional Executive Level 4 Management Team – Member
- Regional SHE (Safety, Health and Environment) Committee – Chair
- Regional Insurance Claims Committee – Chair
- Regional ISO 14001 Team – Member
- Regional ISO 9000 Team – Member
- Regional HACCP (Hazardous Analysis Critical Control Points) Team – Member
- Regional Corporate Governance Committee – Member
- Regional AIDS forum – Member
- Regional Management Review Committee – Member
- Regional Asset Management – Member
- Group Integrated Internal Audit Team – Member
- Regional BCM subject matter expert
South African Police Service, (21 years 6 months)
Colonel- Head District Inspectorate, Public Relations/Human Resources Grahamstown December 95 –June 96
Lieutenant-Colonel – Head of District Inspectorate, Grahamstown Jun 93 – Dec 95
Major-Head Visible Policing/Liquor Officer, Grahamstown Jun 91–May 93
Captain – District Head of Logistics & Liquor Officer, Grahamstown Jul 90 – May 92
Lieutenant – Station Commissioner & Liquor Officer, Grahamstown Jan 88 – Jun 90
Warrant Officer – Uniform Branch, Fish Hoek (Cape Town) Jul 83 – Dec 87
Sergeant – Uniform Branch, Simon’s Town (Cape Town) Dec 81 – Jun 83
Constable – Uniform Branch, Simon’s Town (Cape Town) May 76 – Nov81
Constable – Uniform Branch, Norwood (Johannesburg) Jan 76 – Apr 76
Student Constable – Pretoria Jan 75 – Dec 75
EDUCATION AND TRAINING
Training Completed at SAB Miller May 97 to
- Risk Management Program – University of Stellenbosch
- Sustainable Development Training – Arthur D Little Limited Training, Cambridge, UK
- Labour Relations Act Training – provider Work Place Solutions (Pty) Ltd
- Basic Conditions of Employment Act Training – provider Attorneys Finley and Tate
- BCM: Business Continuity Management Training and Implementation – provider Marsh
- Training development for Risk Managers (Enterprise Risk Management) Business Today
- Achieving Leadership Potential Training – provider Deloitte
- NOSA: Accident and Investigation Training – Provider NOSA
- NOSA: ASTRAC Advanced Health and Safety Training – Provider NOSA
- NOSA: Auditing of the integrated 5 star system – Provider NOSA
- NOSA: Construction Regulation Training – Provider NOSA
- ISO 14001 EMS (Environmental Management Systems) – provider SAB Miller
- OHSAS 18001 Lead Auditor Training – provider NOSA
- Training on proposed changes to OHS Act, combining OHS Act (Occupational Health and Safety Act) and NOSH Act (National Mine Heath and Safety Act) – provider Implex Legal Compliance Solutions
- Training in OHS Act, NEMA (National Environmental Management Act) and Waste Management legal compliance – provider Implex Legal Compliance Solutions
- ISO 9001 QMS (Quality Management System) – provider SAB Miller
- Ammonia Refrigeration Training – External provider
- Pressure Vessels, Boilers and Pressurised Systems – provider Oliver Survey Group
- Training Western Cape Water By-laws and Effluent By-laws and regulations: City of Cape Town
- National Railway Act Training – provider National Railway Regulator
- Economic Value Added Training and online assessment – provider SAB Miller
- Good Management Practices as a prerequisite for HACCP – provider CSIR
- ORBIT: Optimal Risk Control by Incident Tracking – External provider
- Strategic Operating Practices (Green Belt Training) – provider Six Sigma
- Time & Attendance Training – provider Visual Time
- Integrated Management Process: Customer Focus Goals – provider SAB Miller
- Integrated Management Process: Conflict Handling – provider SAB Miller
- Integrated Management Process: Skills for the Work Place – provider SAB Miller
- Recruitment and Selection Training – provider SAB Miller
- Social Style Profiling and Training – provider Network of Training
- Performance Review Training – provider SAB Miller
- Resilience Training – external provider
- Intermediate Excel and PowerPoint Training – provider SAB Miller
- SAP Training: Procurement to Payment (Authorisation) – provider SAB Miller
- SAP Training: Human Resources – provider SAB Miller
- SAP Training: Product Data Management – provider SAB Miller.
- Grade A PSIRA registered July 2014
Management Development Course, SAPS Aug 93
Information Systems, SAPS Jul 92
Officers’ course in riot and crowd control, SAPS Aug 87
Technikon RSA, South Africa – Diploma in Police Administration via correspondence Jan 86 to Jul 87
Subjects: Criminal Law III, Police Administration III, Law of Criminal Procedure and Evidence III, Afrikaans B
South Peninsula College, Muizenberg – Matriculation Certificate via correspondence Jan 86 to Nov 86
Subjects: English, Afrikaans, Introduction to Criminology and Ethnology, South African Criminal Law, Law of Criminal Procedure and Evidence, Statue Law
National Higher Certificate (Police Admin) – via correspondence Jan 82 to Jul 83
Subjects: Police Administration II, Criminal Law II, English B, Investigation of Crime II, Law of Criminal Procedure and Evidence II
Counter Insurgency Training and combating of Urban Terrorism, SAPS Dec 81
National Higher Certificate (Police Admin) – via correspondence Jan 80 to Dec 80
Subjects: Police Administration I, Criminal Law I, Investigation of Crime I, Law of Criminal Procedure and Evidence I
Simon’s Town High School, Standard 8 – Opportunity to commence career in SAPS Jan 70 to Dec 74
COMPUTER PROGRAMS/OPERATING SYSTEMS
- SAP: PTP, HR, Cost Centre Management
- MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- T&A System (Time & Attendance Payroll and Access Control System)
- In house data system
Current Position: Corporate Risk Manager – JHB Central Office, Sandton, SAB Limited and ABI
Tel: 011 881 8317
Cell: 082 921 7557
Security Director, Africa
T: +254 20 6922 272 M1: +254700332368