The Grootbos Foundation is a non-profit organisation, established in 2003 with the VISION of conserving the Cape Floral Kingdom and uplifting the communities therein
It is our MISSION to conserve the unique Cape Floral Kingdom, the region we call home; and to develop sustainable livelihoods through ecotourism, enterprise development, sports development and education.
We create sustainable project models which are replicable and scalable in order to assist the communities that surround us, and those in other regions. Many of our projects generate their own income and/or are partially self-sustaining, of which we are very proud!
The Foundation’s implementation strategies are based on three integrated ‘umbrella’ programmes: ‘Green Futures’ which focuses on conservation, ‘Football Foundation’ which focuses on utilising sport for development, and ‘Siyakhula’ which focuses on the creation of sustainable livelihoods through enterprise development.
Our overarching objectives include:
- Conserving, rehabilitating and protecting the natural environment of the Western Cape region, particularly the flora and fauna on Grootbos Private Nature Reserve and the Walker Bay region.
- The provision of education relating to indigenous horticulture, agriculture, conservation, ecotourism, greening and life skills education.
- Training and skills development for disadvantaged persons with the purpose of enabling them to obtain employment or become self-employed.
- Using sports and sports facilities as a tool for social integration, promoting healthy lifestyles for youth, and increasing environmental awareness and life skills amongst communities.
- Research, including ecological, educational, social and scientific research on topics related to our core programmes.
- Developing sustainable and innovative solutions to tackle the issue of food insecurity.
Tel: +27 (0)28 384 8048
German link: http://grootbos-foerdern.de/
PO Box 148
Grootbos Nature Reserve